BACK TO MAIN INDEX | 5. RESOURCES
WHAT IT IS: A place to ask questions, post answers, and have discussions.
HOW TO GET THERE:
- Click on the Forums link on My Desktop (Figure 5-22) or select Forums from the Resources drop-down menu (Figure 5-23). If more than one forum is active you can click on the forum name (such as General Discussions) to go directly to that forum from My Desktop.
Figure 5-22. Resources: Forums Link on My Desktop
Figure 5-23. Resources: Forums Link on Resources Tab
- On the forums page, click on the forum name or (enter forum) (Figure 5-24) to enter the forum.
Figure 5-24. Resources: Enter Forum
Once in the forum (Figure 5-25) you can add messages, search by keyword, and arrange existing posts by subject, author, or date by clicking the relevant column headings. All members can add messages and search the forum, but only root users and administrators can add, edit, or delete forums.
Figure 5-25. Resources: Forum: General Discussion
5.2.1 Post a Message to the Forum
- Click on (add new message) to go to the Post to Forum page (Figure 5-26).
Figure 5-26. Resources: Forum: Posting a Message
- Enter a Subject for your message.
- To attach a file to your message, click on the checkbox next to Upload a File. You'll be asked to select the file when you click on Save.
- Enter your message in the text window.
- If you want to email your message and attachment as well as post it, you can select members' email addresses from the list at the right of the Post to Forum window. CTRL-click to select multiple addresses and shift-click to select sequential addresses. You can also email your message and attachment to external (non-member) email addresses by entering them in the External Email Addresses line.
- Click on Save to post the message to the forum and send the email notifications. If you clicked on the Upload a File checkbox, you'll be asked to select and upload a file before your message is posted to the forum. Click Cancel to return to the previous screen without posting or sending the message.
5.2.2 Search the Forum
Click on (search forums) to go to the search project forums page (Figure 5-27). If more than one forum is active, use the Search pull-down menu to select the forum you want to search. Enter the keywords you want to search for and click on Search.
Figure 5-27. Resources: Forum: Searching the Forum
5.2.3 Root User and Administrator Functions: Adding, Editing, and Deleting Forums
Root users and administrators can add, edit, and delete forums.
To add a forum:
- From the main forums screen, click on (add forum) (Figure 5-28).
Figure 5-28. Forums: Root User and Administrator Functions: Add Forum
- On the Add New pop-up window, enter a forum name and description, then click on Save (Figure 5-29).
Figure 5-29. Forums: Root User and Administrator Functions: Add New Forum Window
- The new forum will be listed on the main forums screen (Figure 5-30) and My Desktop, and all members will be able to post to it.
Figure 5-30. Forums: Root User and Administrator Functions: New Forum
To edit a forum (change its name or description):
- Click on (edit) (Figure 5-31).
Figure 5-31. Forums: Root User and Administrator Functions: Edit Forum
- Use the Edit window (Figure 5-32) to change the forum name or description.
- Click on Update to change the forum name or description or Cancel to close the Edit window without making any changes.
Figure 5-32. Forums: Root User and Administrator Functions: Edit Forum
To delete a forum:
- Click on (delete forum) (Figure 5-33).
Figure 5-33. Forums: Root User and Administrator Functions: Delete Forum
- On the delete forum pop-up window (Figure 5-34) click on Yes to delete the forum or No to close the delete forum pop-up window and return to the main forums screen.
Figure 5-34. Forums: Root User and Administrator Functions: Delete Forum Window
BACK TO MAIN INDEX | 5. RESOURCES